1. Household Garbage, Yard Waste and Heavy Trash are collected every TUESDAY and FRIDAY between the hours of 7 a.m. and 6 p.m.
2. Recyclables are collected every Friday morning. No need to sort items. Please see details below.
3. Household Garbage: Should be contained in plastic garbage bags and set inside garbage cans to prevent rodent infestation of alleys. Each bag or container may not exceed 50 gallons, or weigh more than 50 pounds.
4. Yard Waste: Tree, shrub, and brush trimmings must be bundled and securely tied in lengths no greater than four (4) feet. Branches in excess of three (3) inches in diameter will not be collected. Bundling and size limitations allow for quick pickup and are required to prevent damage to collection equipment in the crushing process. Bags containing grass and leaves may not exceed 50 pounds or 50 gallons.
5. Heavy Trash: Includes bulky items such as old furniture, appliances, garage cleanups, Christmas trees, carpet (up to one room, rolled and tied in lengths up to four ft. and weighing less than 50 pounds), fencing (bundled and tied in lengths up to four ft. and weighing less than 50 pounds), cardboard boxes (flattened), and similar items.
6. Location of Pickup: Trash and recycling are collected in the alley and may be picked up anytime between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. Per City of Houston Code of Ordinances Chapter 39, trash, recycling, etc., may not be set out until 6 p.m. the day preceding a regularly scheduled collection day.
7. Excessive Amounts: To make arrangements for collection of excessive amounts of refuse, yard trimmings or bulk items contact WCA Customer Service at 281-368-8397. WCA will meet with resident prior to collection day to determine a price.
8. Refrigerators. Must have the compressor removed, refrigerant drained, and lines sealed by a licensed technician, with the accompanying bill certifying such service was performed affixed to the unit.
9. Hazardous Waste Exclusions. Cooking oil, motor oil, gasoline, paint, batteries, garden chemicals, smoke detectors, dirt, rocks, bricks, concrete, material generated from remodeling or roofing, waste generated by a private contractor, or any materials or items deemed hazardous, will not be collected. Additionally, automobile tires, tree trunks, auto body parts, and similar items are not considered to be typical household refuse and will not be collected. WCA will leave a tag explaining the reason for non-collection of a certain item(s). Household hazardous waste or residential electronic scrap items should be taken to the City of Houston Environmental Service Center (ESC) at 11500 South Post Oak, just south of Loop 610. The center is open Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and the second Saturday of each month from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
10. Holidays: When a major holiday falls on a regular collection day, pickup will occur on the next scheduled collection day.
11. House numbers required: Display house numbers near the location of trash to ensure pickup. Homes not displaying house numbers may experience interruption of service.
12 Cost of Service/Payments: The quarterly rate is $46.45 (including tax). Invoices will be mailed two weeks prior to the beginning of each quarter. Payments may be mailed or made by phone.
13. Suspension of Service: Service will be suspended for accounts with unpaid balances beginning 20 days after the payment due date. Service will resume when your outstanding balance has been paid. You may also be charged a $20 fee to reinstate your service.
Carts and bins. If you prefer the smaller blue 18-gallon bin cart in lieu of the 48- gallon grey wheeled and lidded larger recycling cart, just call WCA at 281-368-8397.
- Recyclables are collected every Friday in the alley behind your home. Place trash and recycling along alley by 7:00 a.m. on collection day.
The following items CAN go in the carts and sorting is not required.
- Paper: Newspaper, Magazines, Catalogs, Junk Mail and Envelopes, Office Paper, Construction Paper, Colored Paper, Folders, Paper Bags, Phone Books, Holiday & Greeting Cardsâ€¨
- Cardboard: Corrugated Cardboard Boxes, Paperboard Boxes (cereal boxes, soda/beer boxes, shoe boxes, etc.)
- Containers: *Aluminum Cans, Tin Cans, Steel Cans, Glass Bottles, Glass Jars, Empty Aerosol Cans, Aluminum Foil*Plastics #1-#7 (milk, soda, water, juice, liquor, shampoo, detergent, pool supplies, pet food, etc.)* Metal Pots and Pans, Copper, Scrap Metal (nails, screws, gutters, etc.)
These items CANNOT go in the carts:
- Plastic Bags, Styrofoam, Pizza Boxes, Coat Hangers, Paint and Solvent Containers, Light Bulbs, Mirrors, Windows, Dishes and Cups, Wet or Soiled Paper, Paper Towels, Facial and Toilet Tissue, Disposable Plates and Cups, Milk and Juice Cartons (wax-board containers), Wrapping Paper
WCA’s Payment Address:
WCA Waste Systems/Waste Corp of Texas
PO Box 553166
Detroit, MI 48255-3166
WCA’s Correspondence Address:
WCA / Waste Corporation of Texas
15202 Dora Lane
Sugar Land, Texas 77478
© 2014 Southampton Civic Club, Inc.